måndag 26 april 2010

Step five

It has begun!

Last friday we signed the papers for my internship. It's going to be a two-month internship where I will be working on one project in a bit more long-term focus and some lesser ones in parallell. I'll be continuing this blog through the internship, of course.

Friday was also the day for the big event "The Big Lift" which is Communicare celebrating the success with their project to convince future young contractors to take their first steps and actually succeeding. Around this time I'm also made aware that my seminar blog is a bit more popular than I first imagined. I don't really know what to make of it. Of course I'm happy that my writing has an audience. But I've yet to discover how it affects me as a person. For now I'm glad and i'll coninue writing and see if we get any more reactions.

Another interesting event during friday was the live show! Dead by April showed up and threw a free consert. I had never heard them before and I was pleasantly suprised by their performance. Tho, I think they need to grow a bit more as artists. I'll explain.

Dead by April, a good pop-metal band (at the base a bit similar to Linkin Park but way better. Better riffs, more metal and with a dual singer setup they can do nice fades on stage *thumbs up*) is going to play for the Karlstad audience.

The problem is that the audience is a bunch of youngsters that only listen to the awful sleazy pop artists we get fed through our radio. its about love, and "oooh, I'm eighteen, and losing my first crush is the worst thing that can happen in life. I better commit suicide because it's the only way to get some attention!"

Granted that's basically what Dead by April's lyrics are about as well. maybe not the suicide part but definitely the "I'm eighteen and every problem I have is more important than the world". Dead by April can compensate with some cool riffs and a heavy good sound. I also really liked their drummer.

So, what happens when a band like DBA meets the spoiled "Brat-wannabe" Karlstad youth audience? well few of them actually stood by the fence and the band got more and more pissed as the consert went on. they started taunting the audience with remarks like "We're going to play a song from our lastest single but I guess you haven't heard that one either, right?".

Sure, the audience wasn't responsive, but I think the band has gotten a bit spoiled after their last big hits and was expecting Karlstad to be an audience that would be easy to please. Sorry DBA, but you got to tough it up and give it an extra go. Above all even if the audience doesn't appreciate you, dont' stoop to their level. When they played tho I think that they are a great live band. Their live performance says more about their good sides than their album.

I also know that the information about their free consert didn't hit all the right networks. Had the town's local Metalclub gotten the info in time, it might've been a full house. Then again, Metalclub books their own gigs and they know that the stage in the big hall is crap. That's why we have the rockbar. Sound carries better in there.

In short I suggest people to go and see Dead by April. They're pop, with some sleazy lyrics, but their metal sound and groove compensates all of that and more. Their dual singer setup works very well, but they definitely need to grow a bit more as a band to not get as Emo as their lyrics as soon as they hit a tough crowd now and then.

Will I by their album? No. but Spotify is free so I guess they'll recieve something for it.

Intership starts next week so this week will just be a big preparation for it. Two months of internship. I already feel a heavy preassure of success. I feel like I really need to make this a good one. I've managed to push away some of the negative thoughts, but not all. Hopefully I can calm myself down enough to not skip sleep and not skip weekends just to finish this project. But I'm definitely not promising anything.

It's time to get some work done. Until next time, Mr. Imaginary Reader.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Henrik, one of your imaginary readers here. Must say that I really had a great time last friday meeting a lot of people, including you. Unfortunately, although I carried drums and stuff for them, I realized that Dead by April wasn't really my thing. But I guess that's kind of the beauty of it, that we're all different. Anyway just wanted to congratulate you on the internship again.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Thank you, Henrik! i Enjoyed the evening as well. :)

    SvaraRadera