lördag 17 april 2010

Step Three

It's been a while now.

Lot of things have happened and I'll try not to forget anything. First off, i did get a reply from the local newspaper about requirments and merits working as a journalist or a chronicler. Journalist basically required that i had gone through the two year program here in Karlstad. Chronicler didnt really require the same education but still required good writing skills but above all a nack for writing about interresting stuff. I'm very grateful for getting the answer since it wasn't something expected.

Thursday came the Hotspot day. It's a day where companies all over come to Karlstad university to present themselves to students and visitors. Student and visitors also get a chance at presenting themselves to companies, creating opportunities and broaden their networks. We also had some speakers giving motivational speeches.

What i did was that i realised i dindt lack motivation at all, so when everyone else went to se Paulo Roberto talk about having a fighting spirit and using that as a contractor, I was talking to the companies all by myself! Well, at least there weren't alot of visitors around so I had no problem getting a chance to talk to whom ever i liked.

No less than ten different companies asked for my CV, essay or other details, so I consider that a success. Not all of them where super-interesting but I followed the motto of Klas "Have a day where you aren't allowed to turn down offers or say 'no' to anything". 

Friday came along and I had a day full of "I gotta get this CV done so i can send it to all of the prospects!". Instead of completing that task, however, i got another contact that connected me to a guy that runs his own buisness doing web development. Through that one, I actually managed to land a job interview! tuesday at 10 am im gonna go have a chat with this fellow.

Although he works with a sub-par framework, it doesn't seem like he's interested in my lack of knowledge in that system, but rather interested in the programming languages I did know.

This has further motivated me to learn more about some frameworks with PHP as the main language. CodeIgniter seems like a fast framework that has some really good ideas. already done some tinkering with it and done some of the tutorials, Among other things, making a blog in under twenty minutes. if i had done that with regular scratch-built PHP I'd still be scratching my head!

Oh right, all things comes in a bunch, like a bottle of ketchup. My Job coach came through once again and spoke to one of her contacts, who knew someone in Edinbourgh who were working with web development. I'm getting swarmed here!

I am very grateful for all the opportunities, and i know fully well that everything might turn to dust before i know it. But a "no" never kills, just makes us stronger, right? With an increase in opportunities i also get an increase in chances of landing a job or an internship.

In the best of worlds as in if I get to tailor my future, I get hired at a website company in Scotland. I get to start fresh in my life, I get a chance at focusing on my work and I get to see one of the countries I really want to visit. My work would be a melting pot of opportunities to use all of my skills for web programming. One day i have a customer that wants a community site with a blog engine incorporated with each user account, and the next one I'm building a tailor-made webshop with awsome animated grafics. I might even get to use my 3D modeling skills and/or Photoshop skills.

If that would happen, i'd be a very happy man indeed. I'd definitely increase my wardrobe with a kilt, try to grow a solid beard and do extensive quality testing on the local whisky destileries.

Now i just need to make all of this happen!

Until next time, Mr. Imaginary Reader.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar